Tyler Yarema rocks my world!

Just came back from seeing Tyler play at the Reservoir Lounge. A few years ago my birthday fell on a Saturday and I decided that was where I wanted to celebrate it. Ever since then, I've gone on the Saturday just before my birthday. So it's become somewhat of a tradition.

I've already talked about him here, but one can never praise him enough. He plays with such passion and joy. Much like Tim Freedman, he is most alive in those moments. I usually end up dancing pretty close to the stage by the end of the night. Tonight he caught my eye at one point and I felt the fire that runs through him in performance. And man, he plays a mean piano!

One of the things I miss most about being in Sydney was my ritual of going to see Bernie Hayes play at the Rose of Australia each week. On my last trip, I also went to see Jackie Orszaczky (he's an upcoming post) play each week as well. Being able to see someone play in such close quarters, to feel that you're part of the magic being created, and then talking to them afterward is a pretty incredible thing. I hope when my life reconfigures, I'll be able to make seeing Tyler a weekly ritual, and have that feeling on a regular basis again.

His album is almost finished. It's been a long wait. I love how his songwriting has evolved and I'm itching to get my hands on the CD. I'm sure I'll be posting about it when I do.

Comments