Cabaret?

I saw An Evening of Cabaret at the Vaughan City Playhouse on Saturday and immediately got excited by the idea of directing cabaret shows. It seems to dovetail nicely with my interests and strengths.

But I'm haunted by one question. Does the nature of cabaret preclude a director? My understanding of the form is that it's devised and then presented by the performer. However, watching the shows I could see where an outside eye can shape the performance. My work with storyteller Jean Bubba went against the idea of storytellers working alone, so I do have some precedence in doing this kind of genre-busting thing.

Being new to the genre, can you give me a definition of what cabaret is and what separates it from the one-man show? I would love the thoughts of those do cabaret or those who see a lot of it.

Comments