Thinking on creativity and a new venture

Recently on Facebook, I've been seeing people posting links to a YouTube channel called TEDtalks:
TEDTalks is a daily video podcast of the best talks and performances from the TED Conference, where the world's leading thinkers and doers are invited to give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes -- including speakers such as Jill Bolte Taylor, Sir Ken Robinson, Hans Rosling, Al Gore and Arthur Benjamin. TED stands for Technology, Entertainment, and Design, and TEDTalks cover these topics as well as science, business, politics and the arts.
I've only started to explore the lectures there, but I found two I wanted to share.


This is Larry Lessig, one of the founders of Creative Commons, talking about the new creative culture and the need for a new approach to copyright.


Sent to me by Robert Chafe, this is Sir Ken Robinson, a crusader for transforming education to encourage and promote creativity, talking about why a change is needed.

While going through the channel, I found other interesting talks that tied into my interest in personal development and spiritual growth. I thought about including them here but it really doesn't fit into what this blog is about. So I created a new blog, called In Process, where I'll be sharing interesting resources I find in these areas. You're welcome to come and check it out. I won't promise it will be regular as my first duty is to this blog, but it is my hope that it will be a worthwhile read.

Comments

Unknown said…
Thanks for posting these. I have a lot of percolating thoughts on both artists/copyright and creativity in education.

There's a lot of talk here of 'the problem' without any suggestion of action. But I suspect that's where everyone is on the issue - I see the problem, what do we do?

Ken Robinson's story about the dancer really struck home with me, the notion that kids just do not think the same and are being taught as if they do.

Of course, I have no grand scale answer either. I only know what I can do on the small scale - one to one with teachers and students. I'm not sure big scale change will happen anyway, that requires the powers that be to believe the necessity of the creativity in education...