Happy Daze

I've been sick all day today, meaning I'm missing out on the first day of the Fringe. I'm especially bummed out that I missed the opening of The Barbecue King. I directed its first production in the New Ideas Festival in 2000 and was looking forward to seeing where it ended up and getting caught up with composer Steve Thomas. Hopefully he'll be around and this show is definitely on my must-see list. I'll be writing about the shows I'm seeing over the next week.

It's been a busy few days (probably why my body made me sleep today). On Sunday I was at the taping of How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria?, mainly so that I could gaze at the wonder, the bundle of joy that is John Barrowman. I had a lot of fun and I have some thoughts on the show that I'll share at some point when I can actually think.

I went to the Dora awards and was particularly thrilled that Stuart Hughes and Joseph Ziegler won for The Time of Your Life and Soheil Parsa won for Waiting for Godot. Sadly, I didn't get to see either one of these shows. I've been a fan of both Stuart and Joe ever since they performed together in Kiss of the Spider Woman at Toronto Free Theatre (and sadly there is nothing on the web about this fantastic production. Had it become CanStage by that point?) I had been dying to see them perform together again but when I had money I didn't have time and vice versa. With Godot, I really hate the play but love Soheil's work so much that I was willing to sit through it just to see what he was going to do. In that case, it was a strict time problem. But I'm really, really happy to see the three of them recognized.

Drowsy Chaperone beat out Nicholas Nickelby for best touring show, something that left me sad because as much as I love Drowsy (and I'm sure the fact it was homegrown factored in the vote) NN was such a tour-de-force that I feel it should have won.

And while I was at the Doras I missed another tour-de-force, Roy Halladay's 4-hit shutout of the Seattle Mariners. As Ken Fidlin put it:
The end result was a magnificent display of the art of pitching. And make no mistake, when a pitcher applies his craft as Halladay did that night, it is a form of art.

See, it's not just me.

Comments