Opening Night

For the first time I truly understood why a lot of directors go out and get drunk on opening night. I really didn't want to watch the show, which is something I had never experienced before. I wasn't worried about the actors. I was worried about how it was going to be received. Would it be considered at the same level as the other work? Would people not find it as interesting as I? Would it be the success we all hoped it would be? Would there even be an audience? Those questions preyed on me the whole day.

More than at any time I can remember, I would have killed to have had someone standing beside me, holding my hand, just being silent support. That's not to say that people weren't supportive - everyone was. But it's just not the same as having someone intimate say the same thing. At the launch party the other night, I met the boyfriend of one of the other directors. He introduced himself as nobody important. I told him not to underestimate the importance of his role. And I envied her.

I did end up in the show. Just coming out of the show in the Extra Space was Daryl Cloran, a director I greatly respect. He encouraged me to go in and reminded me, "it is just Summerworks". For him, maybe, but for me, this is the highest profile thing I've ever done. He did tell me that I would regret not being in there and that I would be alright. And I was when the audience started laughing. In fact, they laughed a lot more than I had expected. We didn't do a lot of laughing at rehearsal and I was worried that we ran right over the humour. But it was there, the audience responded, and all was right.

There's also some good word of mouth that the team heard after the show, which bodes well. We don't any stars so we're in an uphill battle for an audience. Word of mouth and our email blasts are the two best tools we have. On that note, I'm going to interviewed on thatradio.com on Tuesday at 1:30pm EDT, for about 20 minutes. I've never done an interview that long before. It's supposed to cover both this show and the company, and we hope it will give us some good sound clips we can use later. I have no idea what kind of audience they have but any publicity is good for us.

Also rare for me was wanting to seriously drink. I wish I had before the show and was desperate for one afterward. I didn't end up overdoing it though, which was a good thing. After all, we have another show today and I need to do some tweaks on the slides. Yes, I did want the multimedia, although it has been a complete pain in the butt. I have no one to blame but myself.

Comments