Putting it Together

Today's rehearsal was very exciting. I got the idea on the way home last night of giving each character a dream between scenes 1 and 2 to raise the stakes, since scene 2 is the climax of the play. It paid off even better than I hoped. The first time they ran through it, all I could think of was "wow". I had goosebumps. And now that we've refined it, it's so alive and vibrant it could go on stage now.

Flying in the face of conventional wisdom, I decided to block this scene first for two reasons. 1) Scene 1 is so bloody long that it's going to take two whole days to do. 2) We were taking production photos this afternoon and this scene had the best material to translate to stills.

The plan now is to block the first scene over the next two rehearsals, with the final scene in the rehearsal after that. Then revisit the scenes over the rest of the week, running it on Friday when we're in a space that has a real stage.

So now I'm finalizing everything for the fundraiser and praying that there will be lots of people there so that Kent's hard work won't go to waste and the performers will have people to play to. I'm having to constantly fight my brain which seems for some reason to want to believe every worst case scenario will happen. Can't let that stand as thoughts are powerful things. Wish I knew why I seem so attracted to the failure option but I've learned that examining that question just re-enforces the thought's power. All I can do is catch myself doing it, release it, and re-direct. Just like breaking an actor out of a bad habit.

There's someone I hope will make an appearance tomorrow although he's so unpredictable I have no idea what he's going to do. But I would love for him to just hold me and tell me it's all going to be alright, as I'm worried I'm not going to get all my tech stuff nailed down in time. I don't need his support but I sure would like it. It would be nice to shut down the producer and the director for a little while and just be. That's not asking for much, right?

Comments