All We Have Is Now

(from UrbanToronto.ca. Photo by Alex Glista)

Yesterday, I walked the block and a half to my new family doctor. (On the 6th anniversary on my hysterectomy!) I haven't had one for a long time and I just love the idea that if I need to I can drag myself down the street if I really need help. And as I'm getting older (which is something I am wrestling with A LOT) it's become important to have a team to help me keep track of what is going on with my body.

I've only been here since August but I've fallen in love with this neighbourhood. The King car goes by my balcony and I find them soothing. Now that I've seen the doctor I can't wait to try the Y I discovered a block south of here. It's a pleasant walk to the grocery store, closer than when I was living in Brampton (although I'll see how I feel about it in winter), and the library is just another block and a half farther. I could walk to the St Lawrence Market if I wished. There's a lovely park not far from me and while I haven't tried walking to it yet the lake isn't that far away either.

I really love the apartment/condo. The balcony, the large windows, the living space is fantastic. The roommate situation has been good so far. I had thought about maybe seeing if I can buy it from the owners in a few years once I have established income streams. I could see myself being here for a long time to come.

And then word got out yesterday afternoon that the environmental assessment was completed for the Downtown Relief Line. One of those subway stations will be right here - there will be an entrance just behind the building. Exciting news at first...until I realized that this just became a million dollar condo. The work isn't scheduled to be completed until 2031 but that won't stop the values here from jumping.

So there goes my dream of being able to stay here. It was always a dream anyway since I don't own this place and the person the owner wants to have it can decide at any point that he wants it. So this is a reminder that everything is fleeting, that the lesson I learned being homeless this summer still holds true. My only true home is me. Trust that wherever I land will be good for me, as this place is right now. And that I will be taken care of, no matter what happens.

Comments